Monday, September 24, 2012

I Am Allergic to These Tropes

Like everybody else, I love some tropes, themes and genres in any kind of art. Diesel-punk? AWESOME! Big ships with big guns? Kick ass! Black humor? Hilarious! Satire? Hell yeah! Sci-fi complete with mad scientists? Bad ass! Musical-comedy? Cool!

On the other hand, I also got allergic reactions to some other tropes/genres. Here is some of them, in no particular order.


Horror!
From this blog
Really, I just don't get it. I am already afraid of global warming, biological or nuclear terrorist attack, and so many other real menaces, why I need to be frightened during my spare time? Why I have to pay to feel fear? Oh, don't forget about one more thing! Not only fear, many horror movies also used "shock" to excite its audiences. 

What? I still don't get it. 

In action movies and adventure literatures, fear is used to magnify the satisfaction you got when the protagonist finally overcome their challenge. In comedy, shock is used to amplify the funniness. In other words: they are means for delightful ends: satisfaction and laughter, while in horror, fears and shocks are the end itself.

Sorry, not for me. I prefer to enjoy other emotions during my leisure time. Though I may enjoy a "horror" movie/literature if the "horror" is downplayed. That's why I intentionally watched 13th Ghost, fully aware that it is a horror movie. And I love it too! I was fascinated by the house, by the story of each ghosts, not "horrified" by the "horror" caused by those ghosts, especially in the second half of the movies. I think that's also the reason why horror aficionado doesn't like it.


Pirates!
Folks, pirates are NOT romantic. Pirates are NOT cool. Unless "cool" means "plundering any village whenever and wherever I like!" I already wrote that Pirates are evil, nasty, despicable people by definition. Hoping for a kind pirate is like hoping for "A Nazi with a heart of Gold." They simply don't exist.

I have no interest in identifying myself with greedy, barbarous, mass-rapist, mass-murderers like them. I wish EVERY pirate die slowly and horribly as a nobody in an unknown island, screaming when receiving their karma, not glorified as ANY kind of hero in any media. NEXT!


From this blog
Zombies!
I hate Twilight series, but at least it is NOT about Bella Swan falling in love with a zombie! C'mon, zombie is not only rotten, ugly, and smelly, they are also slow, clumsy, and above all STUPID AS HELL! Where's the fun in watching any kind of interaction with such creature?

Ah, you may say that the fun is actually when you see the protagonist fighting a zombie horde, the thrill and fear of being overwhelmed by THOUSANDS of zombies? NAAAH, it is far more interesting seeing people fighting a horde of NORMAL PEOPLE. That's why I love to watch Black Hawk Down, and Commando. Or any Bruce Lee movie when he kicked a horde of goon's ass! A horde of normal humans provide more challenge and thrill then a zombie horde anytime.

So, any reason why a zombie horde can be more interesting than a living one? Let me guess, you want to argue that zombies know no fear, no pain! Err ... sorry, if that's the case, that means A ROBOT HORDE is far more menacing! Heck, a VACUUM CLEANER HORDE is far cooler than a zombie horde! Oh yeah, no fear and no pain also means they are even more STUPID than the most stupid man, increasing the problem that I mentioned earlier.

Hey ... wait a minute ... I've got an idea! Why use zombies? Replace all zombies with "idiot cannibals"! Here is the story: a virus reduces the IQ of its host by 90%, and skyrocketed their appetite for human flesh, making them feral, but change nothing else!  Same stupidity, without the ugliness, with more speed! That means all those movie makers can save money since they have no need to do any special makeup in their future zombie movie project!  Damn, I am a genius!


From this forum
ANYTHING with Vin Diesel!
Honestly, after mid 2000s, every time I saw any movie with Vin Diesel, I pass. Really. as far as I know, he always plays the VERY SAME CHARACTER. You know, the cool-wannabe-douchebag, complete with speech impediment.

ARGH, it is so painful! Everytime he opens his mouth, I felt a hammer hit a nail that already halfway in my ears! Everytime he moves, it is like a pneumatic drill hits my eyeballs!  The fact that his breakout role is the movie about some felons who think endangering lives and misusing public property is cool is not helping either!  Great job there Vin! So sorry for giving you my middle-finger instead of my thumb. 

I think I even prefer the zombies compare to this douche. At least the zombies become so repelling NOT because of their own choice! At least the zombies is not so pretentious ...


So that's it for now. Other than those 4, I also despise most movies with Santa Claus, Bugs Bunny, and many other things that I stated in "top 10 most hated characters" article. Maybe I'll add other things later ...

Addendum:
Based on some input from my brother, I add 4 more lame tropes.


No comments:

Post a Comment