Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Bible, God, Moses, and the Golden Calf

I am NOT a Christian. I was born in a Calvinist family but I can say I lost my faith to Christianity very early, during my primary school day. There are so many flaws in its holy scripture, the Bible, that even a 10-years old like me on my primary school day can spot. Many tries to cover it, but in my opinion, they give no valid counter-argument. One of the biggest flaw occurs in the book of Exodus.

First, just read Exodus 32. Go on, read it, it is arguably short.

Second, If you are too lazy to read it, here is the summary:
1) Moses just received the 10 Commandments on top of Mount Sinai, only to find out that the Israelis worshiped a Golden Calf while he was gone.
2) God/Yahweh told Moses that He planned to slaughter them all, and promising Moses descendants to be the greatest nation on earth. 
3) Moses pointed out that God already gave the EXACTLY SAME PROMISE to Abraham.
4) Moses also pointed out, God would be considered a laughingstock among the Egyptian, if God really saved the Israelis from them, only to butcher the same people with His own hand. 
5) And GOD RELENTED! He even lamented about the evil he wanted to inflict on His people!
6) He agreed with Moses and let Moses do whatever he likes!

BEHOLD! This is the man
who can correct God!
Okay, got that? Now, my reaction to that story is:
WHAAAAAT??

Are you freakin kiddin me?

You are sayin that Moses, a mere mortal, who was made from flesh and bones like other homo sapiens, who repeatedly made mistakes suddenly could correct YAHWEH himself?

You are sayin that God can forget his own promise and almost broke it if he were not reminded by a mere mortal?

You are sayin that the omniscient creator could REGRET his own decision? 

And finally, you are sayin that GOD can do evil too?

Oh by the way, many Christians trust the Bible more than The Origins of Species?

Dear Christians, especially the fundamentalist one, when your own holy Bible stated that your God is NOT infallible, and CAN do evil, I don't see any reason why I should follow your religion. That book fails to be even CONSISTENT with its own definition of its main character: God. Come back to me if you got a better holy scripture, and don't forget to ditch that old one.


AND NO, that is far from the only flaw. Maybe I'll write about another flaws next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment