Saturday, December 1, 2012

GOP and Science


USA is a very lucky country. They got George Washington as their first president, ensuring their freedom from despotism. And now they just rejected GOP in the national election, partly because hurricane Sandy demonstrated the necessity of government.


The GOP Superstar!
Why I said so? Because the GOP is an anti-science party. Having them out of the executive's office is a very big luck.

Remember when Todd Akin suddenly did an ass-pull saying that female's body "switched-off" during "legitimate rape"? Oh yeah, this Akin dude WAS also a member of "Science, Space and Technology" committee. If this is the GOP science dude, I bet the rest of the party is even more ignorant than him. Just check one of their superstar, Marco Rubio. In an interview with GQ, he just said that theologians are just qualified as scientists to determine earth's age. Here is the complete quotation:

GQ: How old do you think the Earth is?
Marco Rubio: I'm not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I'm not a scientist. I don't think I'm qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.

Hey Rubio, SCIENCE has many things to do with the gross domestic product AND economic growth of the United States! What do you think started the silicon valley? Or electricity? Nuclear weapons and power plant? In case you forget, Faraday, Tesla, Oppenheimer, Moore etc. created electricity, semi-conductors, and nuclear tech with science, NOT with Bible! With physics, NOT theology! Oh yeah, by the way, our kids were taught that earth is a solid sphere NOT a plate which rest on top of giant turtles! Our kids were also taught that the earth orbiting the sun in an elliptical trajectory, not "resting as the center of the universe," despite the fact that there is no DIRECT record of earth's orbit around the sun. Nobody has "freedom to teach nonsense"!

If this is the GOP superstar, I saw the party marching backward, BACKWARD, back to the medieval age. Hey, this is not just me guessing, there is an empirical evidence that conservatives really distrust science. If science suddenly has "liberal bias" ... that means conservatism just sucks.  Yes, they already forget that last time they tried to ignore and ridicule science it backfired spectacularly. Yes, I am talking about their ignorance to polls that showed Obama was leading the race, making them shell-shocked when Obama won almost all the swing-states.

This is a big loss. Really. Everyone with brain will be forced to be democrats. And I already said, the liberals has some problems of their own. It is possible that this is the last of the United States luck. The GOP has many good points too, contrary to the Democrats naivety in those matters. It is a big loss if those points were discredited due to the Republican war against science.

Is this the time for a third party? Maybe. Is this the time for the GOP to clean-up their act? Definitely. If they wanted to move forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment